The weather bureau predicted extreme heatwave conditions near Gympie, while the rest of the south-east would remain in a low-level heatwave.
Temperatures were expected to drop back within typical ranges by Tuesday next week, with overnight minimums reaching closer to 17 degrees in Brisbane, although the weather bureau predicted daily maximums high than 30 degrees.
Storms on Monday afternoon knocked out power to more than 162,000 properties. Credit: Cameron Atfield
An Energy Queensland spokesperson said 98 per cent of homes knocked off the grid on Monday had been reconnected but storm-affected “zombie trees” – those at high risk of falling – could still damage power infrastructure.
About 170,000 homes lost power during the week, and the largest number of properties blacked out at any one time was more than 162,000, on Monday afternoon.
This included a number of facilities for the elderly north of Brisbane, with at least one retirement village struggling through heatwave conditions at the start of the week without power.
Loading
Bolton Clarke, which runs aged care and retirement homes on Bribie Island, said its facilities were hit by power and mobile disruptions after Monday’s storms.
Personal alarm systems, which can alert family members and emergency services of falls and distress, automatically switched to battery backup.
The retirement village at Bongaree was without power until Wednesday, with staff delivering ice, food and water to the residents.
“Additional welfare checks were implemented and updates provided for families, and the team door knocked all residents again once power was restored,” a spokesperson said.
The aged care facility at Bribie Cove had a backup power supply, and Energex supplied an extra generator for the retirement village at the same site.
Health authorities warn elderly people are particularly vulnerable during extreme heat conditions and should be closely monitored.
By Friday morning, fewer than 3400 properties across south-east Queensland remained dark, 2000 of which had been so since Monday.
A spokesperson for Leahy’s office said as properties in council areas further afield became eligible for hardship grants – which cover the loss of essential services, including power, for more than five days – the state would expand the scope of the funding.
The joint-funded grant scheme also contributed to costs for councils north of Brisbane and up to the Fraser Coast that needed to repair public infrastructure and launch counter-disaster operations.
In Brisbane, the council began offering free green waste drop-off on Wednesday, which would remain available until 5.45pm on Sunday.
The government said people impacted by the wild weather could check whether they were eligible for assistance, and find out how to apply, on its website.
Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.
Read the full article here












