The Rottnest Channel Swim has been cancelled.
Organisers chose to pull the pin late on Friday, through a text to participants.
The swim was due to be held on Saturday morning, with the first wave of swimmers entering the water at Cottesloe Beach bound for Thomson Bay by 5.45am.
But the Bureau of Meteorology has forecast strong nautical winds of 30 knots, or about 55 kilometres per hour, on Saturday morning, with a strong south-westerly wind due to actively work against swimmers as they cross the channel.
Organisers said in an email to swimmers they were incredibly disappointed to have to make the decision.
“Current predictions indicate persistent strong southerly winds, a powerful south-to-north surface current, and significant afternoon swell,” the statement said.
“These conditions are not expected to improve and present an unacceptable level of risk for swimmers, skippers and support crews.
“We know how much this event means to so many in our community. Months, and in many cases years, of training, preparation and travel plans have gone into this swim.
“As always, the safety of every participant and volunteer is our absolute priority.”
Organisers also recognised the efforts of support crews and volunteers for the work put into organising and preparing for the event.
“We extend our heartfelt thanks to our swimmers, skippers, paddlers, volunteers and supporters for your understanding and continued commitment to the South32 Rottnest Channel Swim and to open water swimming in Western Australia,” the statement read.
“Finally, thank you for your patience this week while our small but dedicated team worked right up until the final possible moment to explore every option.”
According to BoM, weather was also set to worsen throughout the duration of the swim.
Organisers agreed conditions made the event too dangerous to go ahead, noting they were similar to those that forced the cancellation of the swim in 2024.
Competitors previously expressed their frustration after receiving the news by a text sent just after 4am on the morning of the race.
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development also announced it had cancelled abalone hour on Saturday due to safety concerns.
“The main priority is ensuring fishers’ safety when accessing abalone. Based on the modelling it was determined it would not be safe to proceed with fishing this Saturday,” management officer Aidan Walsh said.
“Compliance officers will be attending beaches within the Western Zone to ensure that abalone fishing is not taking place.”
From our partners
Read the full article here












