Warning: Graphic content
A former staffer to Alan Jones has reacted angrily in court after being asked repeatedly if he had fabricated his claims that the then-broadcaster indecently assaulted him.
Complainant “C” faced further cross-examination in the NSW Local Court on Tuesday by Jones’ barrister, Gabrielle Bashir, SC, about texts and other messages he had sent the former 2GB host after he alleges Jones had kissed and touched him without his consent.
Asked about an effusive thank-you letter he penned the broadcaster after Jones gave “C” and his wife a wedding gift, the complainant said: “Alan was still a very, very powerful person in our industry. He was, dare I say it, more powerful than [fellow broadcaster] Ray Hadley.
“I hate reading these messages because it’s not how I felt. But it’s how I felt I needed to respond to him.”
Bashir suggested “C” hated reading his messages to Jones because they exposed his allegations as fabrications.
“No, because I don’t like the references to him talking about my c— … I don’t like hearing a bloke, 40 years older, writing to a straight guy, wanting to play with his penis. Get real,” “C” burst out.
“Sorry,” he said. “You will never find another message to any person in my life where I talk to anyone like this.”
Bashir asked Judge Glenn Walsh to order “C” to respond to the question. Walsh refused.
“No, these are sensitive matters where he’s been asked 16 times if he lied about being touched on the penis,” Walsh said.
Jones, 85, is standing trial in Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court on 20 charges of indecent assault and two counts of sexual touching without consent. He denies the allegations.
“C”, the second of six complainants to give evidence in the trial, is a former staffer to the broadcaster and has been in the witness box since Friday.
Of the 22 counts in the proceedings, eight indecent assault charges relate to “C” and involve allegations of unwanted kissing and touching.
“C” has alleged Jones touched him repeatedly on the penis over his clothing, either in the car as he was driving Jones or at a lunch function where other guests were present.
Much of Bashir’s cross-examination of “C” has centred on text messages, tendered in evidence, in which “C” responded to Jones in a way that he has agreed was flirtatious.
He has told the court he felt he had to respond in this way to keep the then-broadcaster on side and that it did not reflect his real feelings.
“These messages are consistent with someone who had been groomed for 10 years on the way to talk to him,” “C” said. “I was a junior staffer, 40 years younger than him.”
He agreed with Bashir that he had instigated some of the contact, rather than simply replying to messages from Jones.
Jones maintains the alleged physical contact did not occur at all rather than that the complainants consented to them.
At one point during the cross-examination, Bashir put to “C” that a message he sent to Jones that referred to the complainant’s penis with an eggplant and wink emoji was “entirely inconsistent with the defendant having touched [you] … without your consent”.
“C” asked if Bashir was suggesting he consented to Jones touching his penis while he drove, and she replied that she was putting to him that he “never touched your penis”.
“That’s not true, he did,” “C” replied.
The trial continues.
Support is available from the National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service at 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732) or the Men’s Referral Service on 1300 766 491.
From our partners
Read the full article here












